News teaches morals

Good to show MJ, ballplayers in trouble

Recent courtroom activities and congressional hearings have captured America's attention on a level the likes of which have not been seen since the O.J. Simpson trial a decade ago. Once again the best place to find your favorite celebrity is on reality court TV.

First we have the case of Terri Schiavo. Schiavo, who has been brain damaged since 1990, has been living off a feeding tube in a vegetative state. The husband, Michael, would like the tube removed so her suffering may be brought to an end, while the parents of the woman would like her to be kept alive.

The state rulings in Florida have found that Schiavo herself wishes to have the tube removed, but the issue has made its way to Washington, where the House of Representatives recently delayed the vote over who should have the authority.

It is a tragic set of circumstances when a loved one's well-being deteriorates to such a state. I myself have seen a trio of grandparents suffer through feeding tube hell until their last days. But in no way would I want a member of my family to die when the alternative is life. It is simple as that. However, if Schiavo really feels she will move on to a better place, it is rather disrespectful for her fate to be decided by a congressional vote.

I am going to have to side with the parents from a moral standpoint and say she should live no matter what is decided. However, I feel it is just too bad that her last days could be kept in a scrapbook of Washington Post articles.

For those of you who thought the Michael Jackson case was just a "Saturday Night Live" skit that somehow found its way to CNN, apparently it is a real case. I for one am fascinated by the likes of Jackson. His prime time special two years ago resembled a real life "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," and now the talented artist is back in court.

Before making any judgment on Jackson, it should be noted that no parent in his or her right mind would allow his or her son to visit an individual with such a notorious record. Any grown man who is open about his passion for playing with little children should just be avoided. While it is probable that Jackson did do something inappropriate to the boy in this case, are people actually surprised? Maybe parents will reconsider the next "slumber party" at the Neverland Ranch now.

My favorite news story of the past month has been perhaps the story of the year in sports. Going back to an article I wrote a few weeks ago, the House committee hearings regarding steroids and baseball are well under way. I think it has worked out perfectly.

The ballplayers are making it clear that they believe they are hotshot celebrities above giving straight answers. Mark McGwire, one of the head figures in the scandal, scarred his record within just a few minutes of refusal to speak directly. Experts are already debating his Hall of Fame status. But the ballplayers are not the big story.

Lawmakers expressed outrage during the commissioner of baseball's testimony. Bud Selig made obvious how weak the sport's drug-testing policy really is. One panel member even pointed out that the fine for a first-time violator with a $2 million yearly salary is equivalent to little more than $100 for a long-haul truck driver. Major League Baseball's inability to produce a stiffer testing policy is primarily based on the fact that MLB's labor union is very strong and protective of its players. Even lawmakers would have difficulty cracking its corrupt system.

Within these three cases there is a great deal of moral judgment mixed with legal and political leverage. Some people may not understand why such issues are publicized in the media. As clich?d as this may sound, it is important for our children and ourselves to understand these situations so that we may ensure that we avoid similar ones in our own life. But, if nothing else, avoid plastic surgery that transforms you into Elizabeth Taylor and do not develop a circus to lure little boys into bed. Please.