Metro Brief: Student shot over jacket

An Eastern Senior High School student was shot in the thigh and shoulder March 17 after a man attempted to steal his North Face jacket, according to washingtonpost.com.

The 15-year-old and several friends were walking to Eastern Senior High, which is located in Southeast D.C., when a car approached and one of the two males in the vehicle got out and pulled out a handgun, The Post reported. He insisted that the teen give him his North Face jacket, and when the boy refused, the gunman shot the teen twice.

According to The Post, police said the wounded teenager ran to a Metro station, where he flagged down a passerby for help. He was taken to an undisclosed hospital for treatment.

Police have general descriptions of the men, who were driving a Chrysler or Cadillac. No arrests have yet been made.

Although jacket theft is a problem in the D.C. area, stolen North Face jackets do not seem to be a big problem on the AU campus, The Eagle previously reported. No reports

of stolen North Face jackets were made from October 2004 until late January 2005, said Public Safety coordinator Leonard Jukkala.

The most sought-after North Face jacket is called Steep Tech, which is made for extreme skiing. It retails for about $350.