Eagles Primed for Tourney Run

The best time of the year has come for all sports fans. The doldrums of February are about to be replaced by the excitement that is March Madness. One of the first tournaments to kick off play is the Patriot League, and the AU Women will take thei r recent string of strong play up to Worcester, Massachusetts where they play will Navy in the first round. The Eagles have lost twice to Navy this year, including a season-ending, 49-46 heartbreaker last Saturday. "We had 15 chances to win that game and we just couldn't make the game winning play," said Eagles coach Melissa McFerrin. As far as the Eagles go, McFerrin likes their chances against a Navy team without much offensive firepower. AU will depend on their six seniors to take them to the promised land, led by Chanel Hunt and Joanna Barnes. "This team will only go as far as our six seniors take us," said McFerrin. Expect the Eagles to use a short bench, probably only bringing in Hunt (who plays starters minutes), Abby Lipskis and Angel Jordan off the bench to give their starters a blow. Reserves like Natalie Walker and Katie Hirschler probably won't be first options for McFerrin. Here are the matchups and how they play out: (1) Holy Cross v. (8) Lafayette: If the game is within 20, I'll be shocked. Lafayette is improved over last year, but nowhere near the caliber that Holy Cross. Expect Lisa Andrews and Maggie Fontana to give the Crusaders an unstoppable one-two punch and easily push HC into the semifinals. Prediction: Holy Cross 86, Lafayette 52 (4) American v. (5) Navy: Even though the Eagles came up short against Navy twice, a good, veteran team with solid coaching will not lose three times to a lesser opponent. Chanel Hunt will reassert herself as one of the PL's best and Barnes will be the old reliable. Navy will hang for awhile, but the veteran leadership of the Eagles will pull them through. Prediction: American 63, Navy 55 (2) Lehigh v. (7) Bucknell: There is no one in Bethlehem, PA happy to see the Bison coming into town for a first-round matchup. This has upset written all over it. The inside outside combo of Lindsey Hollobaugh and Brooke Tomovich show that Bucknell can beat anyone on any night. McFerrin calls the Bison the most dangerous team in the tournament, and they'll score an early upset over the favored Mountain Hawks. Prediction: Bucknell, 76, Lehigh 73 (3) Army v. (6) Colgate: No PL game could be more boring. The Raiders and Mountain Hawks combine to play the most boring basketball in the league, but Sherry Abbey-Nowatzki has her Cadets playing well. Cara Enright is the best player in the game and she'll be the difference. Prediction: Army 55, Colgate 45

Second Round: (1) Holy Cross v (4) American: I want to believe AU can pull this off, and I believe there's a chance. But, in order for them to knock off the Crusaders, everything will have to go the Eagles' way. Expect to see the offense run through Hunt, with Salem and Lispkis getting looks inside trying to get Andrews in foul trouble. If point guard Damarah Rhymer can dominate Sara Placek, the Eagles have a chance. I just don't see it happening. Prediction: Holy Cross 70, American 63 (7) Bucknell v. (3) Army: Bucknell is so dangerous. Coming off an underachieving season and playing motivated ball, the Bison are primed for a run. Expect Hope Foster, the freshman sensation to be the difference in the win. Prediction: Bucknell 68, Army 59

Final: (1) Holy Cross v. (7) Bucknell: For some reason, these two always seem to be in the final. Bucknell's magic will run out. Andrews and Tomovich will have a real nice battle inside, but Fontana's leadership will be the difference. Prediction: Holy Cross 73, Bucknell 65 But, don't fret AU fans, the Eagles are peaking at the perfect time and McFerrin truly believes in her team and their ability to turn it on in the tournament. "We won't have a problem motivating the girls and we're ready for our run. Our seniors are ready to lead this team," said the first-year coach. And with no dominant team, a strong week could land the Eagles in the tournament they really want to play in.