Thursday, May 2, 2024

SIS undergrad Symposium story

JEANNETTE KIMMEL SIS Undergrads to host research symposium

The School of International Service is hosting its 8th Annual Undergraduate Research Symposium this Thursday, February 24. The symposium consists of entirely undergraduate students - they form the panels, write the panels, are moderators and analysts.

"This extraordinary event is completely organized by SIS students and highlights significant student-conducted research on pressing topics in today's world," said Senior Associate Dean Nanette Levinson. "It also highlights SIS freshmen, serving as chairs, moderators, etc, so that next year they can present their own research."

Over 50 SIS students are involved in the symposium, according to Levinson. Topics include "The Challenge of the EU's Human Rights Policy Abroad," "Chile and the NAFTA Countries: Where are They Going?" "Deciphering the Indus Valley's Mysterious Script," and "Hispanic Gangs in the United States," among many other topics. Presentations and discussions will be held in various rooms in Mary Graydon Center.

"The Undergraduate Symposium offers a great opportunity for students to hear from other students about their field of study, and about topics they may not get in class from a different source than a professor," said SIS Undergraduate President Ben Sander. "This makes the Symposium that much more fun and interesting."

"It is a lot of fun," said Levinson. "The most important thing is the discussion of ideas, and sometimes the discussion of complex topics with different points of view. This is not common on other campuses but reflects sis student commitment to excellence in research and public dialogue--from their very first year at AU."

Contact SIS for more information on the SIS symposium.