Campus Briefs: WCL hosts 2005 Opportunities Day

The Washington College of Law hosted its fifth annual Opportunities Day on Tuesday for about 400 first-year law students.

First-year law students don't get to choose their classes and are still learning basic principles at this point, said David Jaffe, WCL dean of students. Opportunities Day is the first exposure for most students of future possibilities, including participation in a law clinic, the War Crimes Research Office or The Innocence Project, where students and faculty work to free wrongfully imprisoned inmates.

"Students find represented - all in one place - faculty and staff from our nine law clinics, eight law reviews and student publications, and dozens of other programs where students can gain hands-on, practical legal experience before they graduate from law school," Jaffe said.

This year WCL debuted a new class called "Balancing Work and Family" and a study-abroad program in Turkey, Jaffe said.

Students also participated in a luncheon lecture by Kimm Walton, a nationally recognized expert on "getting the legal job of your dreams" and author of "America's Greatest Places to Work with a Law Degree." Walton was been a speaker at past Opportunities Days and career services events.