Campus Briefs: Eli Reed showcases his photography

Eli Reed, one of the most recognized photographers of Magnum, a collective of photojournalists, spoke at AU in Wechsler Theater last night.

Described by famed photographer Gordon Parks as a "gentle, compassionate hulk of a man," Reed has captured some of the most stimulating moments of what he calls the "normal beat of life."

"Everything has a beat," Reed said. "Even when stuff is going to pieces."

Reed has published several books, including a group of photos titled "Black in America," which he discussed last night.

His presentation included photographs of "everyday life" in Lebanon and Malawi, as well as gangs in Detroit and the Crown Heights riots in Brooklyn.

Reed is featured as part of Magnum's "Camera as Catalyst" series, coordinated by School of Communication professor Leena Jayaswal.

Reed attended the Newark School of Fine and Industrial Arts before attending Harvard University where he studied subjects like social analysis of war, creative writing, film script writing, peace possibilities in Central America, and industries of China, Latin America and Japan.

In 1970 he freelanced for several newspapers and magazines, including the Washington Post Sunday Magazine. He became a member of Magnum in 1988, and his pictures have been published in National Geographic, Time, Life and Newsweek. His work can also be seen in the films "8 Mile," "2 Fast 2 Furious" and "A Beautiful Mind."

"It amazes me when students say there's nothing to shoot," Reed said. "There's always something to shoot."

More information on Eli Reed can be found at http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/photographers/visitingphotographers.html