AU offense shines, thanks to Colgate

Jordan leads AU with 21 points in offensive thrashing

AU Women's Basketball head coach Melissa McFerrin told her team that because of its struggling offense, it needs to keep opponents in the 50s in order to win. On Sunday afternoon, the team did that and more.

The Eagles defeated Colgate, 73-59, at Bender Arena in their most complete performance of the season.

The win featured career highs from three of AU's unsung heroes. Sharpshooter senior guard Angel Jordan scored 21 points, senior forward Jenyce Woodruff pulled down 13 rebounds, and senior point guard Damarah Rhymer dished out 11 assists, one shy of the school record.

"This was a great team win for us; it's the kind of effort we expect every day, and the team did a great job of accepting that expectation," McFerrin said.

Jordan's career high couldn't have come at a better time for the Eagles, who have struggled to score all season. She logged a season-high 23 minutes and played a very controlled game, hitting eight of her 12 shots, including three 3-pointers and seven rebounds.

"To get 21 points from one player, especially off the bench was great," McFerrin said. "What really helped us tonight was how effective Angel was on defense, allowing us to play her big minutes."

McFerrin was able to play Jordan because she was so effective against Megan Ballard of Colgate, who scored only two points.

"I've just been trying to help out wherever my team needs me, and I was able to step up today," Jordan said.

The game went back and forth for much of the first 30 minutes, with AU leading 33-29 at the break.

In the second half, preseason co-Patriot League player of the year Emily Braseth brought Colgate to within three with five minutes left as she scored seven straight points.

The Eagles countered with senior guard Joanna Barnes, who had been ineffective to that point. Barnes scored nine straight points to put the game out of reach.

"Early on I was rushing, so when I came back I was just trying to find the best shot and be more patient so we could finish strong," said Barnes, who ended the game with 13 points and six rebounds.

AU shot a blistering 50 percent from the field, including hitting 4 of 8 3-pointers, for its fourth win of the year when it scores 70 or more points.

The Eagles held Braseth to 11 points, six below her season average. With seven points coming in a two-minute span, she was virtually ineffective for the entire game. Senior Allison Lipinski led the Raiders with 17 points.

"We were definitely trying to crowd [Braseth] a bit when she caught the ball," McFerrin said.

Sunday's big win followed Friday's disaster, a 66-60 home loss to Bucknell, which came to Bender with only one PL win.

Sophomore guard Tara Williams was the only Eagle in double figures as she finished with 12 points, and senior center Kim Salem chipped in with nine.

"We just didn't play hard enough to win," McFerrin said. "We can't give up 37 first-half points and expect to compete in games."

Bucknell senior Brooke Tomovich led the Bison with 14 points, including a jumper that put the game away with six seconds left. Tomovich led the Bison press, which stifled the Eagles and forced them to commit 22 turnovers.

"I think the press took a lot out of us," Williams said. "We were real tired and the press wore us down."

Trailing by five at halftime, the Eagles tried to come back and tied the game on a free throw by senior forward Chanel Hunt with 16 minutes left. But two quick Bison baskets rebuilt the lead, and the Eagles never came close again.

"Our mentality wasn't there and we just didn't play hard enough tonight," McFerrin said.

The Eagles are now 5-6 and tied with Colgate for fourth place in the league with three games left. Next weekend they host Lafayette in a must-win game if they have hopes of snagging the third seed away from Army, which they beat twice.

"We just need to keep taking care of ourselves and getting our game right," McFerrin said.