Students get shorter break this winter

Finals at AU will last Dec. 16-22 this year - nearly a week later than last year's finals schedule. With classes starting Jan. 10, the winter break will be shorter than usual this year.

The schedule was designed this way based on Labor Day, Mother's Day and the 70 school days required for each semester, said Nathan Price, special assistant to Provost Neil Kerwin.

"As of yet, we have received no complaints about the break from students," he said.

AU begins the school year the week before Labor Day. This year Labor Day fell on Sept. 6, making school start later than in previous years.

"Traditionally commencement is held on Mother's Day, which is the second Sunday in May," Price said. Spring semester begins on Jan. 10 in order to fit 70 days of classes in before Mother's Day.

The 2005-2006 calendar includes a later Labor Day, similar to this year, but Mother's Day is May 14, so AU will return to a three-week winter break, Price said.

Student Confederation President Polson Kanneth said he has received few complaints about the shorter break.

"Any complaints that I have received about the holiday break, I just let the student know that it is just an odd calendar year," Kanneth said.

The late break is particularly a hassle for students who need to move out of their rooms.

"I'm going abroad in the spring. My parents are coming December 23, which is right before Christmas, to pack me up," said Amy Quemore, a junior in the School of Public Affairs. "It's ridiculous."

Others are also unhappy with the shortened break this year.

"I'm part of the Campaign Management Institute, which means I have to be back on December 27," said Jesse Olczak, a senior in SPA. "I can only leave on the 20, so I have a week of vacation. ... It's annoying."

Brian Halprin, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said that this is the first out of his four years here that he can remember such a short holiday break.

Students whose families live far away have also expressed disappointment with the break's length.

"The closer it gets to Christmas, the more expensive it becomes to get home," said Cristina Chevere, a sophomore in the Kogod School of Business. "I'm from Puerto Rico and it takes a while to get home."

Katherine Boyd, a sophomore in CAS, said that AU students come back to school too early in January. "I don't go home very often during the year. ... [It's] going to be hard since I'm from Panama and it takes me an entire day to get home."

Price concluded by reiterating that the 2004-2005 school year was simply an odd year for scheduling finals and vacations.

"I'd like to assure our students that the late and shortened winter break is nothing premeditated, and there is no intentionality involved," Price said. "It is simply the way the University counts the calendar"