Sports Brief: Women's Swimming takes 6th, Men take 8th at Princeton Invitational

AU Women's Swimming and Diving team put up a respectable performance in the 2004 Princeton Invitational, finishing in sixth place out of 11 teams with 120 points. The men's squad came in eighth place, scoring 153 points. Princeton won both the men's and women's competitions, putting up 1181 and 909 points, respectively.

Freshman Meghan Thiel led the women's team, finishing second in the 1,650-yard freestyle. That performance banked 17 points for the team. Senior Cami Miller came in fifth place to garner 14 points.

Sophomore Kaitlin Moughty came in 15th place in the 200-yard backstroke, adding two points. Additionally, Moughty teamed with Thiel, Miller and freshman Ashley McEntee to score 10 points by coming in 12th place in the 400-yard freestyle relay.

On the men's side, the Eagles were led by the triumvirate of Valery Fomenko, Stephen Brennan and Kevin Falkenstein. Junior Fomenko took fourth place in the 200-yard backstroke to bank 15 points. In the same race, sophomore Brennan came in sixth to score 13 points, and sophomore Falkenstein came in 10th to score seven.

Junior Estebe Salgado helped out with a pair of strong solo performances. Salgado came in fifth place in the 200-yard butterfly to score 14 points, and 15th in the 100-yard freestyle to add another point.

Fomenko, Brennan, Falkenstein and Salgado also teamed up in the 400-yard freestyle relay, coming in ninth place. That performanced added 18 points to the team total.