Sports Brief: Hunt scores double-double in Eagles' 67-49 loss to UMBC

The two steps forward the AU Women's Basketball team gained from two straight wins were pushed one step back on Saturday night when it lost to the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, 67-49, at RAC Arena in Baltimore.

Senior forward Chanel Hunt scored a season-high 20 points for the Eagles, who fell to 5-3 on the season. The only other Eagle in double digits was leading scorer Joanna Barnes, who scored 11 points on 5-of-12 shooting from the field.

AU couldn't stop Retrievers guard Matea Pender, who netted 25 points, including five of six from beyond the arc.

Down 22-19 at halftime, the Retrievers regrouped and unleashed a 48-point onslaught in the second half, outscoring the Eagles by 21. AU was set back with only seven assists and committed 18 turnovers in its loss.

Hunt pulled most of the weight for the Eagles, tearing down 10 rebounds to register another double-double. Her solid play is a good sign for AU, for she appears to be regaining her form as the Eagles approach Patriot League play.

A huge difference for the Eagles was the lack of three-point shooting. The Retrievers knocked down seven of eight from downtown, while AU hit only one trey.

While PL play hasn't started, AU is currently second with a 5-3 record, behind only the Lehigh Mountain Hawks, who are 4-2 in early-season play. Holy Cross, which plays a tough early schedule, including against reigning NCAA champion Connecticut, is in fourth place at 5-4. Bucknell and Lafayette are both 2-5.

AU continues its month-long road trip after Christmas in the University of Virginia Holiday Tournament on Dec. 28. The Eagles open up against James Madison University, and a win would put them in the championship game against Virginia or Albany.