Hillel celebrates Hanukkah

Hillel, the center of Jewish life at AU, has numerous programs planned to celebrate Hanukkah, said Amy Levine, AU Hillel director.

Hanukkah, which is celebrated for eight days and nights, honors the rededication of the Holy Temple in Jerusalem. The word Hanukkah means "dedication."

First-year students at Hillel will have a party to celebrate the third night of Hannukah tonight from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in the downstairs lounge of the Kay Spiritual Life Center.

There are also two Hanukkah happy hours tonight. One is at Felix Restaurant and Lounge at 6:30 p.m. near the Woodley Park/Adams Morgan Metro stop, and the other, "Maccabees and Daiquiris," will take place at Tom Tom's in Adams Morgan from 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.

Those who want to attend the final Shabbat of the semester should meet on the steps of Kay on Friday at 6 p.m. "Hanukkah, Havdallah and Holes" will end Shabbat on Saturday with doughnuts.

Lastly, the Hanukkah lighting will take place from now until Tuesday. Lighting times will be at 5:30 p.m. today, Monday and Tuesday; 4 p.m. Friday; 7:30 p.m. Saturday; and 8:30 p.m. Sunday.

The lightings will be held in front of Kay, except on Sunday, when it will be in the Hughes Formal Lounge.

-LAUREN GARDNER