Groups get in the spirit with events

Some on-campus religious groups are planning holiday activities for finals week with parties and special religious services, while others are emphasizing good deeds to get into the holiday spirit.

The Jewish Student Association is holding a Hanukkah toy drive that will benefit children in D.C. Students are encouraged to bring new or "gently used" toys to an AU Hanukkah event. Hillel, the center of Jewish life at AU, has many programs planned to celebrate Hanukkah, including a party held last night. Light My Fire, the Hanukkah lighting, will take place today and tomorrow at 5:30 p.m. in front of Kay Spiritual Life Center. There will be a showing of the movie "Hebrew Hammer" in Ward 4 today at 9:30 p.m. On Tuesday, Jewish students 21 and older are invited to a study break at Cactus Cantina from 6 to 8 p.m.

Jennifer Spiegel, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs, has been participating in Hanukkah activities both with Hillel and on her own.

"I've been playing dreidl on my floor because I'm the only Jew on my side of the floor," she said. "I've been going to Hanukkah lighting every night at 5:30."

Spiegel has also been celebrating Hanukkah by eating traditional holiday fare.

"Fried foods are big because of the miracle of the oil," she said. "So we've been eating mostly potato latkes and jelly doughnuts."

Catholic students are also donating to charities through drives and weekly collections. "We gave $200 to Martha's Table," said the Rev. William Gurnee, AU's Catholic chaplain. They are also holding food and clothing drives for the poor and mentally ill.

The Catholic Choir and Ensemble are having a Christmas concert Saturday at 3 p.m. in the Kay building. Those who come are asked to bring a $3 donation to benefit cystic fibrosis research.

After the concert, Kay will host "an early birthday party for Jesus." People are asked to bring unwrapped toys to go to the Salvation Army, Gurnee said.

Emily Samstag, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs, is the pianist for the Catholic Choir and Ensemble.

"We're doing secular and non-secular stuff," she said. "It's a good way to celebrate our faith this season."

Catholics on campus celebrated the Feast of St. Nicholas on Dec. 7 and will hold regular Masses until Dec. 22, according to Gurnee.

The Methodists are also celebrating the Advent season, the four Sundays before Christmas during which Christians are encouraged to reflect on Christ's coming. Advent services are held Sundays at 7 p.m. and on Thursdays at 11 p.m., according to the Rev. Mark Schaefer, the Methodist Chaplain.

"We have communion and healing services. We also have the lighting of the Advent wreath," Schaefer said. "On the 19th we're having a service of lessons and carols. This is our last service of the season. This is the most special, but we're doing mostly usual things."

Anna Finn, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, is involved with the Methodist services.

"We've amped things up a little bit for the Christmas season," she said. "Services are really relaxed, laid-back"