Campus Brief: Anime Society hosts Uberfest

Last Friday the Anime Society, an AU student group, hosted its annual Uberfest, a 24-hour long event featuring free food, games and popular Anime movies.

With more than 30 people in attendance, meeting everyone's demands was difficult, according to President Sonja Lenning. The movies chosen for viewing were selected from a broad category, ranging from adult content movies to family-oriented films.

Also, the Anime Society worked in conjunction with AU Gamers in setting up various games, such as "Perfect Dark," "Dance Dance Revolution" and "Karaoke Pump It Up."

"The great organization that went in to this was more than humanly possible," freshman Scott Hansen said.

However, student turn-out with recent Uberfests have remained low. Lenning attributes this to students graduating and not enough new members joining. In addition, the Anime Society has switched from viewing movies on VHS to watching them on animated video image computer files swapped over the Internet. Lenning notes that the file swapping is currently legal because the movies do not have licenses in the United States.

"This helps us have a much wider variety of anime to choose from and greatly improves image quality," Lenning said. "But it also means that students can just watch movies in their room, and so they stop coming out to the meetings and events."

The Anime Society will be holding its next Uberfest on the last Friday before finals next semester.