AU senior's screenplay wins a visit to L.A., 'The West Wing'

Vsevolod Horodyskyj, a senior at AU, met the cast of "The West Wing" in Los Angeles in November after winning the Fourth Annual D.C. Screenwriting Competition in September.

In three days, Horodyskyj met Martin Sheen and worked as a background actor in three "The West Wing" episodes, one which aired last night, called "A Change is Going to Come," and two that will air by February.

The Office of Motion Picture and Television Development and the D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities rewarded Horodyskyj for his script, "One Nation." The screenplay is about how a society rebels against a new form of government in which a system called MONARCHY eliminates money, paper mail and rationed resources throughout the United States. The government's attempt to make the nation safer in this way causes postal workers and bankers to lose their jobs and protest.

"I got the idea from volunteering at the National Postal Museum, and it inspired me to write 'One Nation,'" Horodyskyj said. "It's not a well-known museum, and I thought it would be interesting to write a film that somehow featured it. There is a revived interest in stamp collecting since the government eliminated stamps and an increase in visitors to the museum."

Horodyskyj met with "The West Wing" writer, directors, producer and actors. On one day, he had the opportunity to go through wardrobe and props, and be featured in several episodes as a "White House staffer."

"I think it solidified my belief that film is a business and run like one," Horodyskyj said. "The actors and writers are all employees, so you have to approach things from that perspective. I did not get star-struck working with Martin Sheen because he is there doing a job. The minute you ask for an autograph, you become a fan."

Horodyskyj also worked on other films, he said, which helped him learn how a set works.

"'The West Wing' is run very much the same way, but at a much faster pace," he explained. "When I was there, they were filming episodes seven to 16 all at the same time."

Horodyskyj is finishing up his fourth year at AU for a bachelor's degree in film, and he plans to apply for the five-year Masters Program in Film at AU. He also noted that during his freshman year, professor Sarah Menke-Fish encouraged him to take an active role in the graduate film community.

"Working with graduate students has helped me learn how to make films look great, especially on a low budget," Horodyskyj said. "I plan to use the techniques I've picked up when I produce my feature film next December."

After graduation, Horodyskyj said he hopes to move to California to gain more experience with film.

"Even though I had flown over 3,000 miles, I felt right at home," he said.