Student tuition to increase yearly as school grows

Over the next 10 years, students should expect slight increases in tuition so that AU can build a parking deck, move the School of Communication and revamp the School of International Service building, Provost Neil Kerwin said at a Wednesday town hall meeting on tuition.

Kerwin and Vice President of Finance Don Myers expect a 4.5 to 6 percent increase in tuition fees for 2005-2006, The Eagle previously reported.

Student Confederation President Polson Kanneth said after the meeting that it is important for student voices to be heard on the issue.

"With 81 percent of our school's budget being tuition-based, it's great to see input from students and to engage in effective dialogue with the AU administration," Kanneth said.

Although 88 percent of freshmen are retained each year, AU still has to reduce its reliance on a tuition-based budget and improve financial aid to become a better institution, Kerwin said at the meeting.

The $200 million Capital Campaign, a major fund-raising endeavor, will also help the school improve.

"Our mission is to make a bigger University center and to free up as much space as possible," Kerwin said. "Our $200 million campaign is part of this mission."

According to Kerwin, the fund-raising campaign is the first AU has launched in 20 years.

U.S. News and World Report and the Princeton Review indicate positive advancement within AU, according to Kerwin.

"I am pleased with the progress that this institution is making with tuition money," Kerwin said. "A benchmark study for student engagement placed American University at the top of other extensive institutions in three different levels."

Kerwin also gave tuition statistics - for example, the annual tuition increase at AU averaged .5 percent less than the average tuition increase of area competitors such as Georgetown and George Washington universities over the past 10 years. GW's tuition is currently $30,970, and Georgetown's is $21,864, according to the Princeton Review. AU's is $25,920. AU's priorities include tuition increases that are comparable to local universities, Kerwin said.

Kerwin also discussed financial aid issues. There is a 6 percent gross increase in financial aid per year, Kerwin said. He added that merit-based scholarships are virtually impossible to receive after one's freshman year.

Kerwin also gave statistics from exit surveys of outgoing students.

"The single most common response from students who transfer out of AU is money issues," Kerwin said. "Many students who leave stated that at first they believed they could afford AU and then many realize that they can't."

For some students, this is more than a statistic.

"I am thinking about transferring because of the upcoming raise in tuition prices here," said Betty Thomas, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Kerwin meets with President Benjamin Ladner and University vice presidents, including Vice President of Campus Life Gail Hanson, during the budget process. Sometime after the first of the year, a meeting is held with the board to discuss options for the budget for the next two years.

Kerwin concluded the meeting by stating that he hopes that the graduates of the '80s and '90s who are now in the prime of their careers will remember the place that helped launch their careers.

"When you all come back here for your 10-year reunion, you will probably see the new SIS and SOC buildings and resent the fact that you didn't have them yourself," Kerwin said. "Remember though, the value of your degree will improve. ... For instance, I graduated from AU in '71, and the value of my degree has improved greatly."

Kanneth said he was pleased with the event, which about 20 students attended.

"Provost Kerwin is one of many administrators who take into consideration what students have to say and answer questions in order to work together with the administration," Kanneth said.

Kanneth said he hopes to have another town hall meeting focusing on financial aid.

"I came to learn about tuition at AU and the issues that surround it," said Pawel Kozinski, a freshman in the Kogod School of Business.

Kerwin also mentioned the possibility of financing a university college - a selective, interdisciplinary program for freshmen and sophomores.