Metro brief: Turkey in your straw

Those in the District who don't like to chew their holiday dinners are in luck this Thanksgiving.

The Seattle-based Jones Soda Co. introduced its new holiday pack of soda last week, which includes unusual flavors like mashed potatoes and butter, and turkey and gravy. The turkey and gravy flavor was introduced by Jones last year, and was so popular that supplies sold out in less than two weeks.

The holiday pack includes green bean casserole, cranberry, mashed potatoes and butter, turkey and gravy, and fruitcake flavors, as well as a napkin and toothpick.

"Our holiday pack takes the work, worries and cost out of preparing a turkey dinner, so our consumers can spend more time with their loved ones. We even included utensils," Peter van Stolk, president and chief executive officer of Jones Soda, said in a press release.

On its Web site, jonessoda.com, the creator of the holiday flavors says it has come up with the perfect solution for people who are too busy to eat during the stressful holiday because they are entertaining relatives and shopping for bargain winter holiday gifts.

The drinks are perfect for any Atkins diet-crazed relatives. Unlike traditional mashed potatoes, the bubbly beverage form is carbohydrate-free. The drinks also have no calories or caffeine. The holiday pack may also be an appealing Thanksgiving option for vegans, since the soda is meat and dairy-free.

Jones Soda will donate the profits from the holiday pack sales to "Toys for Tots." Its goal is to raise $50,000 for the charity.

The holiday packs are available this week for $15.95 in Target stores and at the Jones Soda Web site. The soda is also sold in the District individually at Barnes and Noble bookstores, 7-Eleven and Panera Bread.