Campus Briefs: Internationals on election, bin Laden tape ineffective

Bin Laden tape judged ineffective

While there was talk about a tape al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden released four days before last week's elections, one AU professor said people should be more concerned about news coverage of the tape.

On Oct. 29 the Arab news network Al-Jazeera aired tapes of bin Laden addressing the American people. He played to American citizens' fears by talking about the economic consequences of the war on terror.

"Your security is not in the hands of [Sen. John] Kerry or [President] Bush or al-Qaida," bin Laden said. "Your security is in your own hands, and each state which does not harm our security will remain safe."

While some experts say the tape is a clear warning of an imminent terrorist attack, others view it as a political ploy designed to influence the election.

AU justice, law and society professor Brian Forst expressed concern about the heightened media coverage influencing the public's perception of security.

"This is precisely our problem: Far more fear [is generated] than is warranted by the facts," Forst, an expert in terrorism, said. "Terrorism does, of course, pose a new set of dangers to the United States ... [a threat] that our intelligence, diplomatic and military communities must devote themselves to dealing with ceaselessly and professionally, with effectiveness and justice. The rest of us should live our lives knowing that we are one of the very safest societies on the planet."

However, Forst said he does not think the tape significantly affected the election.

"It appears that the gains to Bush ... and Kerry ... washed each other out among the margin of people who weren't sure whether to vote and for whom to vote the weekend prior to the election when the tape emerged," he said.

Some students agreed that the tape did not have an effect.

"I heard about them briefly on the news," said sophomore Meg Mahoney. "If anything, it only made me want to vote for Kerry more."

Some other students also had not heard much about the tape.

"I don't think I ever really heard much about the tapes," sophomore Michele White said. "So it really didn't influence my decision."

Forst said that Americans should not focus much on these threats and "get on with our lives."

-VALERIE SMITH

International students divided on election

Several foreign embassies, including those of Great Britain, Canada, Israel, the European Union and Palestinian Authority, have publicly congratulated President Bush on his re-election last week, but some international students at AU have mixed feelings.

Raanan Gissin, a top adviser for Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, told The Associated Press that the election results are good for Israel and for the Middle East.

"It's an even bigger victory for the people of the Middle East, where there will be another four years of a president determined to bring the people of this forsaken region a ray of hope, freedom and democracy," Gissin said.

However, AU freshman Shermin Modarres said that people in her home country of Iran anticipate Bush starting military action with that country.

"With President Bush not hesitating to enter into Iraq, the people of Iran are certain that he will not hesitate to enter into their country with the excuse that they are on the verge of forming nuclear power, regardless of why they would need nuclear power," Modarres said. "Although it is a good idea to keep weapons of mass destruction out of the hands of terrorists, that does not mean that President Bush has the right to keep other countries from advancing."

Freshman Stephanie Pierre-Louis, from Haiti, said that while she is not happy with Bush's victory, it is good for her country.

"Haiti has always gotten the most help from Republicans," she said. "The Democrats only talk but the Republicans go in and get things done, which is something Haiti needs."

Leeza Papalanis, a freshman from Greece, thinks Bush's second term will not be helpful to the United States.

"The social issues that came into play in this election were the point where the two candidates' opinions differed the most, such as reproductive rights and health care and education," Papalanis said. "These decisions will not affect Greece, but I have little to no faith that with the U.S. economy in its current state, the world economy will be improved under this administration."

-KELLY MOYNIHAN