Brockovich encourages women to take political positions

Athletics hosts Brockovich and others to speak on women's health issues

Erin Brockovich, whose work against an energy company was made famous in the 2000 film named for her, was one of four activists who spoke about women's health issues in McDowell Hall Formal Lounge on Saturday.

The all-day program, Strong Women Saturday, presented issues dealing with health of the mind, body and emotions. International awareness was also promoted, and women were encouraged to mobilize and run for political office at any level.

Emphasis was placed on strength training, healthy foods, including three servings of dairy per day, and an active lifestyle.

"[Women] should focus on fitness instead of diet," said Dr. Miriam Nelson, director of the Center for Physical Activity and Nutrition and a professor at Tufts University. Nelson spearheaded the event, giving opening and closing remarks, introducing speakers and leading breakout sessions concerning weight management.

AU Athletics and Stonyfield Farm Organic co-hosted the event, which cost $25. Stonyfield Farm, based in New Hampshire, sells dairy products in support of organic farming and donates 10 percent of profits to national environmental efforts.

Brockovich, now director of research at law firm Masry & Vititoe, said she believes college students have a unique opportunity to become involved in positive changes environmentally by taking political positions.

"Don't be afraid to put yourself out there," she said.

Brockovich said that despite having troubles, like dyslexia, she decided she "wasn't going to go down with ease." Overcoming challenges led Brockovich to personal success, she said. "My disability was my gift."

Brockovich is currently devoting her time to research for a case, begun two years ago, concerning Beverly Hills High School and a power plant and onshore oil platform built near the school.

The case involves 900 former students, attending the school roughly between the years 1978 and 1995, who believe their health was jeopardized because of the industrial installments. Nearly half of the 900 students are living with cancer, including thyroid and testicular cancer, Brockovich said.

For those who saw "Erin Brockovich," this might sound familiar. Brockovich said she was astonished by the success of the film, but she didn't want people to think her life was movie-perfect or that she has all the answers concerning environmental justice.

"I'm an ordinary person in extraordinary circumstances," said Brockovich.

Another speaker was Zainab Salbi, an Iraqi-American who founded Women for Women International. Salbi kicked off the conference with a speech concerning the work of her organization, a non-profit that helps women in countries at war learn a skill and find a steady salary source, which frees them from immediate oppression and allows them to provide for their families.

The violence of war, said Salbi, inevitably entails violence against women, including sexual violence.

"This violence is not taken seriously by society," she said. "There has not been a message from world leaders that has said [this] violence is not right ... It is seen as a part of war, the booty of war," Salbi said.

Salbi was raised in Iraq during the Iran-Iraq War, which led her to begin Women for Women International after she immigrated.

"My passion was shaped by my reality: growing up in war," Salbi said.

The group began with volunteers only. Women for Women International operates in 10 countries, helping more than 20,000 women and providing close to $10 million dollars in aid and loans.

Lynne Cox, long-distance swimmer and author of "Swimming to Antarctica: Tales of a Long-Distance Swimmer," led a breakout session titled "Swimming to Antarctica."

Kathleen Longshore, legislative assistant to Sen. Paul Strauss (D-DC), attended the conference because she was interested in swimming and Cox's experiences. Longshore swam competitively for St. Francis University, where she is an alumnus. Longshore said she admired Cox after reading her book and jumped at the opportunity to attend the conference on behalf of Strauss' office. Longshore called Cox a "water beast," and said Cox inspires her to push herself physically by example.

Cox ended the conference saying, "Women are warriors, man!"

Other speakers included Vivian Todini, representing the White House Project, which works to put women in political positions, and Loretta LaRoche, a humorist and leader in the field of stress-management.