BOE chairman resigns after month in office

Marc Malon resigned as chairman of the Board of Elections at the General Assembly meeting Sunday because he said he was overwhelmed with the time and energy commitments that the position requires.

Malon, a senior, was appointed Sept. 22 when Student Confederation President Polson Kanneth asked the previous board chair, David Blum, to resign, The Eagle reported Sept. 23.

Hye Jin Lee, the current clerk of the Board of Elections, will become the next chairwoman. Vice Chairman Mark Viola will act as chair until Lee is confirmed at the GA meeting next week.

"I feel slightly overwhelmed, but I'm really excited for the upcoming elections," Lee said.

In his resignation speech, Malon said that while the position was rewarding, it was also stressful. He said that the job "has taken a significant toll on my physical and emotional health, as well as on my ability to reach my very high standards I set for myself in terms of effectiveness."

Malon said he would ensure that the leadership transition will be smooth and that he is confident that with the board behind her, Lee will be able to organize the elections.

"We're really working as a team now, with her as our leader," he said.

Malon and the board organized and dealt with the SC fall elections, which resulted in the election of new GA and 2008 representatives.

The board is now focusing on the special election referendum on the SC's constitution. The election is expected to take place in the coming weeks and could result in a restructuring of the GA, The Eagle previously reported.

To organize this election, the board's by-laws, which don't adequately address this kind of election, should be rewritten, Malon said.

The new by-laws must be reviewed and amended by the Committee on Government Operations and then must be approved by a majority vote in the GA.

"It's still doable but it's not ideal [under the current by-laws]," Malon said.

"Students need to vote on this," Viola said. "It's one of the most important votes of the year. Get informed and vote."

Malon said that he does not plan to be involved in the SC after the special election.

"I will not seek to obtain any other position, and I will not be involved in any spring campaigns," he said. "I feel that it is time for me to walk away"