AU on brink of PL title

The AU Men's Soccer team boosted its Patriot League regular-season title hopes Saturday, dismissing Army, 2-0, in an afternoon affair at West Point, N.Y.

Senior midfielder Shawn Kuykendall and senior forward David Marut each scored second-half goals for the Eagles.

AU (10-5-2, 5-1-0 in the PL) will clinch the PL season title and the right to host the PL tournament as the first seed with a win or draw next Saturday at Lafayette (4-2 PL).

Should the Eagles lose and Bucknell (4-2 PL) win its weekend affair at Holy Cross, the Bison would beat out AU and Lafayette, having beaten both teams in the regular season. Otherwise, Lafayette would host the tournament.

Army, at 1-4-1 in the league, will not play in the PL tournament this year.

Kuykendall opened the scoring in the 50th minute, scoring on a very rare unassisted header. The goal, Kuykendall's fifth of the year, was the result of constant pressure from the midfielder, who finished the afternoon with six shots.

The Eagles went down a man 16 minutes later, when junior defensive midfielder Gordon Templeman received his second yellow card.

Though the Eagles could have chosen to go into a defensive shell, they didn't. Instead, they pushed for a second goal, and got it in the 73rd minute when Marut scored the match-clincher.

Kuykendall's brother, J.P., took the initial shot leading to the goal. His effort was thwarted by Army 'keeper Matt Wesmiller, only for Marut to tuck in the rebound for his fourth goal of the year.

Despite playing on the road, and a man down for the last 24 minutes, the Eagles were the dominant offensive team throughout. AU outshot Army, 15-5, and led in shots-on-goal, 7-1. AU 'keeper Thomas Myers was idle most of the match, making just one save.

The Eagles return home to face off against Pennsylvania of the Ivy League on Wednesday at 2 p.m. Then they travel to Lafayette on Saturday night to close their regular season.

Should the Eagles host the PL tournament, play will begin at Reeves field on Nov. 12.