Student groups bring debate issues to campus

Unlike the recent presidential debates between President George W. Bush and Sen. John Kerry, the student debates between political clubs on campus began with something lighter than a sharp opening: Rock, paper, scissors, shoot.

Representatives from the College Democrats, Republicans and Libertarians gathered in the McDowell Formal Lounge on Wednesday night for more than an hour to debate the issues of the 2004 election. Ryan Grannan-Doll, assistant national news editor for The Eagle, moderated the debate, occasionally having to clarify awkward questions.

The parties began with a three-minute introduction, followed by a one-minute answer and 30-second rebuttal period. However, after several questions, Greg Wasserstrom, president of the College Democrats, took the microphone and rehashed the rules of the debates and then suggested audience questions.

Debaters posed a number of questions from questions of the draft, health care, homeland security, prescription drugs and environmental issues.

"It was a pretty good debate, but I was disappointed with the format," said freshman Calvin Beaulier, who was a debater for the College Libertarians. "I wish we had more time for point-to-point rebuttals."

Beaulier said he would do the debate again if asked.

"The Democrats and Republicans did a good job speaking on how they want to run to the government for all of society's problems," Beaulier said. "It was a good opportunity to demonstrate that freedom and self-determination are preferable to status coercion."

Junior Todd Matthy, who attended the debate, said that the College Libertarians were the best of the three clubs who debated.

"Overall, the Libertarians won because they were the most well-prepared," Matthy said. "The Republicans came in second because they gave a very good presentation, and the Democrats came in last because they avoided questions about certain problems with things in which there is no solution."

Meanwhile, junior Simon Ismachan, who asked about issues relating to energy concerns involving coal, said that there should be more events like these.

"I feel that the moderator needed to work on his questions more," said Ismachan. "I was glad that these type of events were held, because there are not many times in which you get to engage in political discussion."

Mike Inganamort, president of the College Republicans, said the debate went well.

"The questions from the audience made it more lively, and the Republicans showed real expertise on the handling of issues," he said.

Taking issue with Inganamort's opinion, Wasserstrom felt that the Democrats came out on top at the debate.

"The team did exceptionally well, and the Republicans gave a good fight, yet it was not good enough," he said. "My team was very knowledgeable on policy issues and were very clear."

A second student debate on foreign policy will be held on Oct. 13 between the College Democrats and College Republicans. The Kennedy Political Union will co-sponsor the event with those participating, and School of International Service Dean Louis Goodman will moderate.