Sports Brief: Princeton easily handles AU, 7-1

The AU Women's Soccer team split a pair of games this weekend, as it beat Patriot League rival Lafayette, 2-0, on Friday and lost to national power Princeton, 7-1, on Tuesday.

The Eagles beat the Leopards behind strong goaltending from sophomore Allison Doyle, who registered four saves in the game for her fourth shutout of the season. AU scored on Marcela Ricupero's 11th minute goal and Natalie Rodovsky's netter in the final 25 minutes.

AU tried to carry the momentum of the shutout into its contest with No. 12 Princeton. Down 3-0 early, the Eagles tried to come back on the leg of scoring machine Ricupero, who scored her 11th-goal of the year to cut the lead heading into halftime.

The Eagles couldn't ride the late momentum, as they were outscored 4-0 in the second half by the Tigers. The AU defense was pressured heavily as Doyle was forced to make eight saves in only a half of work, as giving way to sophomore Charlotte Manetta. Princeton outshot AU, 25-5, for the contest.

Next up for the Eagles is a showdown this Saturday with Lehigh at Reeves Field. The game is important for the Eagles, who are three points ahead of the Mountain Hawks for second place in the PL standings. The 10-3-1 Eagles (3-1 PL) are currently one game off the pace of Colgate, which is 4-0 in league play.