Health center feels pinch from vaccine deficit

The Student Health Center is working to provide flu vaccines to AU students, even though the United States had its expected supply of flu shots cut in half this month.

Two weeks ago, the British government closed down a British factory belonging to the California-based company Chiron, which was expected to provide about half of the flu vaccines used in the United States this year. These 48 million shots were scrapped when British drug regulators forced the factory to close.

This has left Americans who are at risk for the flu in serious trouble. Aventis Pasteur, the other producer of the flu vaccine, has begun plans to redistribute 22 million doses of the vaccine so those at risk can get them.

At-risk groups include the elderly, pregnant women, children less than 23 months old, those with chronic health conditions such as diabetes, and caregivers of high-risk patients, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Not many students have expressed concern, according to Student Health Center Director Dan Bruey.

"Some people have expressed concern, but mainly those with conditions," Bruey said.

He said the Health Center is on a waiting list to get vaccines from Aventis Pasteur.

The Center is trying to put together a list of at-risk students, which might help the Center get shots for these students, Bruey said. However, AU has less priority than high-risk facilities such as nursing homes.

The Health Center has also ordered flu mist, a type of vaccination that is sprayed into the nose rather than requiring a needle. Bruey said this is mainly helpful for healthy populations like colleges.

These flu mists are expected in the center within two weeks, Bruey said.

Bruey suggested that students follow some basic guidelines to prevent catching the flu, such as washing hands, coughing and sneezing into tissues, and avoiding contact with people who are sick.

Students who are at risk for the flu can contact the Health Center at x3380.