Golf falls 40 off par

The AU Men's Golf team completed its second tournament of the fall season in 12th place at the Pirate Fall Intercollegiate at the Bradford Creek Golf Club.

The Eagles finished with a combined score of 904 (300-306-298) to finish 39 shots off the pace, 40 strokes over par. The men were led by sophomore Todd Shagin, who carded a 2-over 218 (76-71-71) to finish in a tie for 12th place overall, eight strokes off the lead. Shagin closed with matching rounds under par for the first time this season. Afterward, he talked about being able to come back after a tough first day.

"I looked at the leader board and saw we weren't doing that well," Shagin said. "I knew I had to play well to avoid further embarrassment for everyone."

Shagin added that he felt he played well enough to contribute to the team's performance and that while he wasn't satisfied with his performance, he thought it was a step in the right direction.

The Eagles received strong performances from senior Chris Schieffer, who carded a 227, and freshman Billy Lacey, who finished with a 229. Schieffer finished in a tie for 48th place while Lacey earned a tie for 58th.

The tournament was won by Charleston Southern University, which finished with a combined score of 865 (290-289-286), eight strokes ahead of its nearest competitor, Elon University and Eastern Carolina University. CSU also finished just one stroke over par as a team. The individual first place winner was ECU's Adam Howell who carded an incredible 210 to finish six strokes under par and two strokes beyond any competitors. Howell carded rounds 73, 66 and 71 en route to a win.

After the tournament, Shagin reflected on what the team needed to do in order to improve.

"We only have one more tournament left in the fall, so we'll go out and have a game plan and work on a number of things," Shagin said. "But the thing we really need to do is work on our mental problems and give the freshman more experience."

The Eagles wrap up their fall season this weekend at the ODU Seascape Collegiate Invitational in Nags Head, N.C. They return for Patriot League competition in the spring beginning March 5.