D.C. has baseball, and it still sucks

Sideline Scholars

Well, Washingtonians, as I predicted three weeks ago, cash in your chips on the Redskins, because they are D-O-N-E done, done, done!

But don't fret because the best time of year has come, and that's baseball playoff time. This year, though, capital residents can be a little more into it as we start scouting teams that we'll face next year and begin the dream that in less than 365 days, our RFK palace on the Anacostia will be hosting meaningful baseball.

So it is just six short months until America's pastime comes back to America's heartbeat, and luckily for us, we can get excited right now.

The former Les Expos, also known as the future Senators, Grays, Washington Expos, or some other heinous name like the Wizards, will play in the National League East, home of this year's divisionchampion Atlanta Braves, who embark upon their 13th straight trip to the postseason.

Besides the Braves, we can start scouting for the inevitable D.C.-NYC interleague matchup, which is sure to pit Washington's finest against the Bronx Bombers sometime next season.

Adding insult to injury, watching the Red Sox-Angels series will be a whetting of the palate, as we can admire the talents of Vlad Guerrero, Bartolo Colon, Pedro Martinez and Orlando Cabrera, all former Expos who would be making the trip down to D.C. to bring some validity quickly had they not been shipped out.

All this excitement in October cannot compare with the excitement that will be next April when Jon Miller and Joe Morgan kick off ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball (presumably) at RFK Stadium - and then they'll remember that they're playing in a football stadium that inconvienent to get to.

OK, I'll stop being a downer, because that's only temporary, as in two years, we will all walk along the riverbanks into a brand-new, multi-gajillion dollar stadium and watch our boys of summer dominate.

Well, maybe, after we take off our gas masks because the toxic fumes coming from the Anacostia are so harsh. And excuse me for a second, but didn't baseball leave D.C. because people were too scared to attend games because robberies and rapes were so common at the ballpark? So let's put the stadium in one of the most dangerous parts of any city in the country, that makes sense.

Now, there are some serious logistical issues that go along with this stadium. What if Barry Bonds gets injured or has a couple down seasons, and he's going for Hank Aaron's home run record in D.C,. and he hits No. 756 deep into left field, over some no-name's head, into the Anacostia?

The most valuable artifact in the history of sports will sink (or should I say float) in the dirtiest water in America because, let's face it, who's jumping in the Anacostia?

And what are we going to call this stadium? D.C. is one of the most funded cities in the world. The naming rights for this place are going to be huge. Every lobbying group in town will want to get their hands on it. I'm seriously concerned about the public address announcer, who nightly will be forced to welcome people to "Chevy Chase Bank Diamond on Chef Geoff's Field at PFC Energy Ballpark at Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority Stadium."

You think I joke? Just wait until the 2008 presidential race, when Hillary Clinton and Rudy Giuliani square off at a debate downtown and then glare at each other from skyboxes on opposite sides of the field.

This little experiment that Mayor Anthony Williams and MLB commissioner Bud Selig are trying is destined to fail. Baseball is coming to a place that has an exciting, young team in an absolutely breathtaking ballpark 45 minutes away.

And, on top of that, when has D.C. proven to be a good sports town? Maybe 15 years ago when the Redskins were something. No one supports the Wizards now that Michael Jordan is gone, people are quickly getting fed up with the Joe Gibbs Part II Era, and the Mystics are a joke. The Capitals, you mention? Well, let's just say the NHL lockout is the best thing to ever happen to them.

But, I guess we'll give the Expos, Grays, Senators, Politicians, Bushes, Kerrys, or whatever they may be called a chance. But in the meantime, I'll watch real teams play real baseball in real stadiums.