Column: Let the post-season wars continue

While early November will mark the end of the 2004 MLB season - one that may or may not feature a ticker-tape parade through Boston - it will also herald the beginning of a truly fascinating second season.

The Hot Stove League, which lasts from November to March, is the name given to the off-season's flurry of big trades and exorbitant free-agent signings. It features the same nail-biting tension, high-stakes match-ups and record-breaking numbers as the regular season, even if those match-ups are between agents and general managers, and those numbers are usually preceded by dollar signs.

For some quick examples, let's start with the two teams slugging it out in the World Series. Jim Edmonds, Scott Rolen and Albert Pujols will stick together for the foreseeable future, but starting pitchers Matt Morris and Woody Williams may be free agents. Combined, they raked in more than $20 million this year, and while they've proven themselves before, their mediocre years may have St. Louis looking in a new direction for its rotation next year.

Another key piece of the Cardinal lineup, shortstop Edgar Renteria, may also be a free agent. His offensive numbers were down this year, but his other talents and his relatively low value ought to make it a lock for St. Louis to re-sign him. The thing is, what makes him so attractive to St. Louis also applies to every other team looking for a new shortstop. Who wouldn't love to have a multi-talented Gold-Glove shortstop for $7 million or less?

The same thing applies to Boston's catcher, Jason Varitek, also a free agent. It's a no-brainer for the Red Sox to re-sign him: He's been healthy and productive for the last three years, and he won't break the bank. But these same qualities make him attractive to many other teams, including those who might be willing to fork over more than the Sox.

Other Boston free agents like Pedro Martinez and Derek Lowe have health or ability concerns, which might make other teams leery, presumably making it easier for Boston to retain them. But guys like Varitek have no such issues, which can be a double-edged sword.

There are free agents all around the league like Renteria and Varitek, quality players who have gained much loyalty to the team they've played with for years. Unfortunately for fans of these teams, they are as likely to move on as there are to stay.

Of course, teams can avoid these contract issues altogether by trading players before contract negotiations begin. It could involve a team unloading a big contract on a team willing to absorb it, like the Rockies trading Larry Walker to the Cardinals, or a team trading a marquee player who, for a variety of reasons, has lost the goodwill he had with the team, like the Red Sox trading Nomar Garciaparra to the Cubs.

While those two trades occurred during the season, the off-season specializes in these blockbuster trades, as seen by last year's Alex Rodriguez deal. This year looks to be no different, as there are numerous teams with contracts they no longer want to pay and disgruntled superstars nearing the ends of their current contracts looking for a change of scenery.

Best of all for baseball fans, with trades and free-agent signings, rumors and speculation rule the day. Everyone loves to offer their opinion on who should be traded to what team, or what team should pay whom $90 million over the next six years. Hearing and analyzing bombastic trade proposals is almost always a fun way to whittle away the days until Opening Day returns. During the cold months of winter, spreading or inventing new trade proposals and free-agent signings help keep fans' minds on baseball.

As in all sports, the spectacle of teams salivating over marquee free agents and GMs desperately trying to shed bad contracts in baseball may be just as compelling as the actual season. While this year's NBA off-season featured the likes of Tracy McGrady, Steve Francis, Steve Nash and even Shaq changing teams, it may just be a warmup to baseball's wheeling and dealing.