Campus calendar

Monday, Oct. 4

The Governor of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Sila Maria Calder¢n Ward Circle Building, Room 1, 8:30 p.m.

The influential political figure talks about her fight against government corruption and fiscal responsibility. Sponsored by the Kennedy Political Union, the Women & Politics Institute, and LASO. Seating is on a first come, first serve basis. Call the KPU at x6416 with any questions.

Table Talk: "War on Terrorism: Is Torture of Detainees Ever Justified?" Kay Spiritual Life Center Lounge, 12 p.m.

Please join us for the exciting Table Talk featuring speakers Elisa Massimino of Human Rights First and Robert Goldman of the Washington College of Law. Free for students, a $5 donation is suggested for faculty.

Tuesday, Oct. 5

Improv @ AU BIC 101, 8 p.m.

Learn "long-form" improv from experienced improvisors - no comedy or theater experience necessary. This is an informational session for a new on-campus and free alternative to commercial improv.

Monthly Movie with the Methodists: "Casablanca" Gianni Lounge, Mary Graydon Center, 9 p.m.

Join the United Methodist Student Association for their Monthly Movie with the Methodists. Free refreshments will be provided. An optional discussion will follow the movie.

"The Manchurian Candidate" Ward Circle Building, Room 1, 11 p.m.

The free screening of the film starring Academy Award winner Denzel Washington will be sponsored by SUB.

Wednesday, Oct. 6

Resume Critiques 12 - 2 p.m. and 5 - 7:30 p.m., Mary Graydon Center Lobby

Come get your resume reviewed by experienced Career Center advisers before the Job and Internship Fair.

Poet and Social Activist Ingrid Rivera Tavern, 8:15 p.m.

Rivera will share her poetry as well as host an open mic session. Those who want to sing, dance, recite a poem, or share their talent should come. Sponsored by the Kennedy Political Union, The GLBTA Resource Center, Queers and Allies, Eagle Nights, and LASO.

College Democrats/Libertarians/Republicans Domestic Policy Debate McDowell Formal Lounge, 9:30 p.m.

Come watch the College Republicans, College Libertarians and College Democrats debate domestic policy issues such as education, health care, abortion, social security, and more.

Thursday, Oct. 7

Fall 2004 Job and Internship Fair Bender Arena, 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.

Over 100 recruiters are hoping to hire AU students. Dress professionally and bring extra copies of your resume. To register or get more information visit www.american.edu/careercenter.

"Iron Jawed Angels" Davenport Coffee Lounge, School of International Service, 9 p.m. -11 p.m.

This film tells the inspirational true-story of leading suffragists Alice Paul and Lucy Burn, and how their actions and determination shaped American history. Sponsored by the Women & Politics Institute. For any questions, please contact the institute at x2903.