Women's soccer ravages through undefeated weekend

The AU Women's Soccer team won the College of Charleston tournament this weekend, defeating Robert Morris 4-1 Friday before tying Florida Atlantic 1-1 Sunday.

The Eagles (4-1-1), who clinched the tournament title through goal-differential, are now undefeated in their last four matches.

On Sunday, junior midfielder Marcela Ricupero pushed the Eagles ahead early, scoring in only the first minute after latching onto an assist from freshman midfielder Siobhan Gillan.

Florida Atlantic tied it 27 minutes later when forward Michele Fazzari connected with a pass from fellow forward Katri Nosko-Koivisto.

Tied going into halftime, AU outshot Florida Atlantic 6-3 in the second half, but could not convert. In the ensuing 20 minutes of overtime, the teams reversed rolls, with Florida Atlantic outshooting the Eagles 4-1. But after 110 minutes, the match was deadlocked.

AU goalkeeper Allison Doyle continued her impressive season, saving eight shots in the win. Ricupero was the Eagles' most active offensive player, putting shots on the goal-frame three times. Eight Eagles combined for the team's other nine shots.

On Friday, Ricupero stole the show, scoring a hat trick in AU's comfortable win over Division III Robert Morris.

But it was Gillan who got the ball rolling, opening the scoring in the 11th minute off an assist from senior defender Amy Muller.

The defense-to-midfield connection continued in the 35th minute, when Ricupero netted her first goal after receiving a pass from sophomore fullback Meg Runeari.

In the second half, Robert Morris pulled a goal back when defender Leanna Hultquist scored in the 72nd minute.

Ricupero proved too much for Robert Morris, scoring twice in the closing stages - once unassisted and once aided by a pass from senior forward Maha Elnabawi - to secure the Eagle victory.

The tournament title comes on the heels of Wednesday's 2-1 overtime win at Towson.

Gillian scored the winner over Towson in the 96th minute, off an assist from Runeari, after sophomore forward Jana Lee tied the score in the 62nd minute.

Towson midfielder Annie Hay scored the Tigers' only goal just under 30 minutes into the match.

AU returns to action on Thursday at home against Virginia Commonwealth, before an anxiously awaited clash against District rivals Georgetown on Sept. 21.