Traffic to worsen in Georgetown

Metro Brief

The Wisconsin Avenue Bridge is undergoing a $1.6 million dollar preservation and repair by the D.C. Department of Transportation until May 2005.

The reconstruction of the bridge, over the Chesapeake River and Ohio Canal in Georgetown, takes place 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday and has limited northbound traffic to one lane from M to K Street. In addition, the southbound traffic has been detoured to 29th, 30th and 31st streets.

The D.C. Department of Transportation is trying to make this situation as convenient and simple as possible for drivers and pedestrians to minimize any problems.

The most affected businesses are on Wisconsin Avenue between K and M streets, said Bill Rice, a spokesperson for the Department of Transportation. This project is part of a larger plan to repair all of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Company bridges.

Wisconsin Avenue Bridge, once called the High Street Bridge, was built in 1831 and is D.C.'s oldest bridge. It was designed by Benjamin Wright, Chief Engineer for the canal company and considered the "father of American civil engineering."

Rice said the rebuilding project is needed to improve the bridge's structural soundness to allow heavy trucks to cross while preserving its historic integrity. The biggest challenge perceived by the Transportation Department will be to preserve the historic features of the bridge.

The contractors on this project, Flippo Construction, will use a new technique called the Archtec method. This method involves drilling holes in the masonry arches and placing stainless steel anchors through them.

"It is my impression that we are not replacing any of the stones. We are just strengthening them," Rice said.

The original wrought iron railings, walls, and other features of the bridge will also be rehabilitated and restored.

Wisconsin Avenue Bridge is the only surviving structure in Georgetown built by the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Company. On Jan. 18, 1961 the C&O Canal was designated a national monument.