Students welcomed, again

Student, faculty and administrative leaders officially welcomed students to the 2004-2005 school year at the Opening Convocation in the Woods-Brown Amphitheater on Friday morning.

After a procession led by the City of Washington Pipe and Drum band, the platform speakers, including AU President Benjamin Ladner, Student Confederation President Polson Kanneth and University Scholar/Teacher of the Year Pat Aufderheide, addressed a large gathering of students and staff.

Vice President of Campus Life Gail Hanson introduced Kanneth as the first speaker. On behalf of the SC, Kanneth spoke about his experiences at AU and challenged all students to get involved to make the university a better place.

"Three years ago, I sat in this very amphitheater after moving into the building behind me, Leonard Hall, hearing one of my predecessors tell the crowd that he sat in this very amphitheater three years ago after moving into that same building," said Kanneth of the path he took to become the leader of AU's student government.

Kanneth explained the significance of being a part of AU - saying that to attend this University is to be a part of American history.

"In the 1970s American University students protested against the Vietnam War, other years [students] witnessed the impeachment of a sitting president, were tear gassed during the IMF/World Bank protests and packed Bender Arena to hear the former head of the Soviet Union, Mikhail Gorbachev, speak," he said.

This year, Kanneth said, students should be excited about being part of the tradition of political involvement. "This University is rich with history, and this year will be no different as we head into one of the most heated elections in presidential history."

After telling students he aims to improve parking problems, ease the process of getting financial awards packages from the financial aid office, and lower the cost of student Metro fares and online textbook exchanges, Kanneth introduced Ladner.

AU's president since 1994, Ladner told students that each of them has a unique opportunity to learn in the District.

"I want to welcome all of you to a very special place and urge you to take advantage of the opportunities the city has to offer," he said.

Ladner also explained the importance of staying focused on education.

"Don't get distracted by superficial things," he said.

Aufderheide, a visual media professor and AU Center for Social Media director, wrapped up the convocation. She said she still gets butterflies as the first day of school approaches. Speaking mainly to the freshmen in the crowd, Aufderheide stressed the importance of the student/professor relationship in a university setting and how it will differ from high school.

"First and last, we are learners, creators and transmitters," she said of professors who have chosen to stay in their position of academics rather than moving to other positions. She said that students should get to know their professors as people who have dedicated themselves to a "lifetime of learning."

"You'll have all kinds of teachers - some you'll like better than others, but all will show one characteristic - they just love to learn," she said.

Aufderheide concluded her remarks and the Opening Convocation by telling students they are embarking on a "great adventure and privilege to learn without ever having to stop"