Student drivers make quick car trips with 'Zip'

AU recently joined Howard University, Georgetown University and George Washington University in an agreement with a new car rental service available to students, staff and faculty on campuses, according to Gwen Gass of the Auxiliary Services office.

AU announced its partnership with Zipcar, Inc., a car rental service, on August 21. University members ages 21 and older may rent the cars by the hour or by the day, as long as they "meet Zipcar's safe driving standards," Gass said in a recent press release.

"The new agreement is designed to enhance campus life by providing a cost-effective alternative to privately owned automobiles when public transportation, walking or bikes aren't practical," Gass said.

Some say Zipcar will relieve commuter frustrations at AU.

"[The partnership] will not only help manage the area's traffic and parking congestion, but it will provide a valuable amenity to our students and staff," said Cindy Glavas of Auxiliary Services.

Zipcars will be available for $8.50 per hour, with a maximum daily rate of $59.99. Designated parking, gas and insurance are included in the price, Gass said.

Some students said the Zipcar service will be convenient.

"I think it's great for kids who needs to move things or spend a day in Virginia" said Sara Farizan, a sophomore in the School of Communication. "I have a friend at Georgetown who used the service to move her dorm furniture into an apartment."

Erin Kelley, a sophomore in the School of Inernational Service, agreed.

"It gives students more flexibility and gives students access to a larger part of the city," she said. "I suppose there is a potential danger for students [who rent Zipcar] who are not used to D.C. driving, but overall I think it's nice because it's just one more thing that the University is offering its students."

Zipcars are available in the Nebraska Avenue parking lot and on Tenley campus.

Renters will use a Zipcard instead of a standard key to unlock and drive the cars, Gass said.

Drivers with Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Washington state or international licenses must contact thier state or county's motor vehicles department to get the appropriate records.