SC chief of staff resigns

Senior Jeremy Holt, chief of staff for Student Confederation President Polson Kanneth, stepped down from his position on Friday for academic reasons and time commitments.

"I realized after the first couple of weeks with my grad classes that I didn't have the time to commit," Holt said. He said the job is unpaid and he estimated it would take about five to 10 hours per week.

Kanneth has nominated sophomore Marissa Friedman to replace Holt and will be confirmed by the General Assembly at their upcoming meeting.

"I look forward to getting involved. I think a lot of kids don't think the student government does anything," said Friedman. "I believe otherwise."

Kanneth also looks forward to her joining the staff.

"She is someone I trust, someone I can work with and someone I have worked with before," Kanneth said. "She will be a great asset to the Student Confederation."

Kanneth worked with Friedman in the past when she helped him out on his presidential campaign last spring. As his chief of staff, Friedman will deal with his "day to day activities" which include working on parking and the campus safety board. Holt researched parking, financial aid and IT department issues over the summer. Holt had been the campaign manager for SC presidential candidate Matt Miller last semester. When Polson won, Holt began his job as chief of staff.

Harding out, Blum in

Former Board of Elections Chair Kyle Harding has also stepped down. In his place junior David Blum was confirmed to take his position by the General Assembly on Sunday.

Kanneth nominated Blum after speaking with both him and Harding. He was also a member of last year's election board as a clerk.

"I'm trying to get the gears moving," Blum said, who has lost time in the preparing for the election because he was confirmed last-minute.

He is currently having meetings to get the elections underway before Oct. 15, which is the last day of elections. Because of this, he will only have three to four weeks to get ready. These elections will be for Residence Hall, GA freshmen, freshmen counsel and off-campus representatives.