New D.C. stadium planned

Metro Briefs

Rumors that the Montreal Expos might move to Washington are gaining legitimacy with the District's announcement on Tuesday for plans to build a new stadium on the Anacostia waterfront.

Although a decision about the relocation is not final, the proposal introduced by District officials included plans for a $400 million stadium, plus renovation of RFK Stadium, where the relocated team would play during construction of the new site. The package would be publicly funded with 30-year bonds, according to a plan introduced to the D.C. Council, which would have to approve the stadium deal.

D.C. Council members in favor of the stadium cited the economic benefits of the new stadium in Southeast Washington. Council member Sharon Ambrose (D-Ward 6) hopes it might jump-start development in her district, where the new stadium would be built.

In addition to economic concerns within the District, Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos has openly opposed the relocation, claiming it would draw fans, and the economic base, away from his franchise.

Washington has not had a Major League team in 33 years, since the Washington Senators franchise folded for financial reasons. Northern Virginia is also competing for the Expos franchise, with plans for its own stadium, but the District's plans are being considered more seriously because of the upscale demographics of the city.