Men come close in tough match

The AU men's Soccer team will enter Patriot League play Wednesday on the heels of a bittersweet weekend.

AU tied No. 4 Old Dominion, 1-1, Friday, only to lose two days later to soon-to-be-ranked William and Mary, 1-0, on Sunday at the Nike Tribe Soccer Classic in Williamsburg, Va.

While Old Dominion was perhaps viewed as the tournament favorite, William and Mary was the hottest team in the tournament, having beaten No. 1 Maryland midweek. Meanwhile, the Eagles (4-4-1) entered in fairly good form themselves, having won two straight coming in.

On Sunday, William and Mary scored the only goal of the game against AU off a 68th-minute set piece. Bryan Hinkle took the free kick for the Tribe, which ended up on the head of Brendan McCurdy, who nodded it past AU senior 'keeper Thomas Myers.

"Someone lost a mark on a header, and the team thought the goalkeeper called for the ball," said AU head coach Todd West. "But the goalkeeper didn't come off his line, and if he doesn't call for it, (our defenders) have to win it."

It was the only defensive letdown for the Eagles in what was otherwise a superb team effort, West said.

With senior defender Charlie Koniver sitting on the bench with a cumulative yellow-card suspension, resulting from a caution received in Friday's match, AU had to rearrange its attack, putting senior forward Sean Albright at his old center back spot.

"It's unfortunate he played center back today," West said of Albright. "We could've used him up top, and we definitely looked different without a physical presence in front."

On Friday, Albright was the hero, as the Eagles secured perhaps their best result of the season so far, tying No. 4 Old Dominion, 1-1.

Albright scored the game-tying goal in the 55th minute after AU fell behind early. Albright, who converted from defender to forward this season to try to rejuvenate the Eagles' attack, pounced on his own rebound to put away his most important goal of the season to date, and his third this year.

The Eagles at least partially avenged a heart-breaking loss to the Monarchs last season in the same tournament. Old Dominion then No. 6, dropped AU, 1-0, on an 85th-minute game-winner.

This year, Old Dominion went ahead early, taking a page out of the Eagles' playbook by scoring off a well-executed corner kick. Midfielder Kevon Harris put the Monarchs ahead in the 10th minute, finishing off a cross from forward Edson Elock after the initial corner kick was only partially cleared by AU's defense.

Then, 45 minutes later, Albright tied it, and the match ended tied after regulation and two 10-minute periods of overtime.

The low Score wasn't for lack of chances. Both teams attacked throughout, with AU edging Old Dominion on total shots, 13-11, but trailing in shots on goal, 6-5.

AU senior 'keeper Thomas Myers made five saves for the Eagles. Albright and senior midfielder Shawn Kuykendall were perhaps the Eagles' most active offensive threats, registering three shots each.

The Eagles return home to face PL nemesis Holy Cross this Wednesday. And though time will tell, West thinks and hopes his side can recover from an emotional weekend.

"Other than losing, I'm pretty proud of the team," West said. "We had a pretty good weekend ... Right now they are gutted because they lost a game they should've won. But I think they will stay together and get it right"