Jolt begets Jolinko

New site aims to compete with the Facebook, Friendster for members

The Daily Jolt, American University's student information web page introduced a new site earlier this month called Jolinko, a sister site of the Jolt. Jolinko can be accessed through thedailyjolt.com.

Jolinko is similar to AU's latest Internet craze, thefacebook.com. Once you sign up, (it's free), members have their choice of creating a profile, writing a blog, and posting your picture online. There is also a special "snoop" feature, which the Web site describes as "Your snoop list tells you who has been talking about you in their blog. When someone types your name in brackets in their blog, it links to your blog and tells you on your snoop list."

Members also have the choice of joining special interest groups such as one entitled "Beer" and the second most popular, "Janet Reno's Dance Party," with 88 members. There is also a group entitled "Daily Jolt Addicts."

"I have not heard of Jolinko," said Krista Nelson, first year graduate student. "I wouldn't use Jolinko, but I bet my friends probably would."

Matt Miller, senior, feels that Jolinko couldn't exceed the popularity of Facebook. "I don't know if it's better than facebook...I don't know if it's possible," Miller said. "I clicked on the link once but didn't sign up for it."

Mark Viola, sophomore, feels that with the current popularity of thefacebook.com, Jolinko is useless. "I feel like Jolinko is nothing special...I like the Jolt, but if you are already on Facebook, why should you join Jolinko"