Eagles fall to Michigan in tournament final

Despite losing to the Michigan Wolverines 3-1 in the final of the Manhattan Volleyball Invitational on Sunday, AU coach Barry Goldberg and the volleyball squad left New York City confident that they can play with elite national competition.

"We knew Michigan was one of the best teams in the country that we are going to play, and we walked away knowing we are right there - still a little short with some things to work on, but certainly we're a competitive team," Goldberg said.

After handily dispatching the University of Manhattan 3-0 on Friday in their first game of the season, the AU women followed up with a sloppy 3-2 victory over the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore on Sunday.

This set up the clash with Michigan later in the day, a team that has consistently earned NCAA at-large bids playing out of the Big Ten Conference. AU, a program trying to extend its success beyond the Patriot League boundaries, did not shy away.

"We came out and hit the ball right with them, very similar to how we played Maryland last year," said Goldberg in a comparison of his team's performance in its heartbreaking NCAA first-round defeat last year. "This time, though, we hit the ball much better and won the first game." The Eagles took Game 1 30-27.

But as time wore on, Goldberg said, he saw his team get a bit worn down by the hard-hitting Wolverines. The Eagles dropped the last three games to take their first loss of the season.

"Game 3 was the only moment it appeared they were wearing us down," said Goldberg. "They continued to slam the ball on us, and for the first two games we were slamming it right back at them."

Still, Goldberg was not disappointed with his team's effort. AU was competitive in each of the games it dropped, putting up 25, 22 and 27 points in the final three games. "There's no question that it was a close match, but they just always had a little bit of a lead," said Goldberg. "Overall, I thought they were just a little more aggressive and experienced."

Senior Natacha Cornez led the Eagles with 17 kills. Sophomore Liz Maloney gave a strong effort with 12 kills and 14 digs. Goldberg was particularly pleased with senior setter Courtney Mulford, who finished with a season-high 50 assists, four kills and no errors. There were times, however, that Goldberg said his team did not serve-receive well enough to give Mulford better setting opportunities.

The star for the weekend, however, was junior Cutrina Biddulph, who was named to the all-tournament team. Before the season started, Goldberg said he knew this could be a breakout year for Biddulph, who he said has spent a tremendous amount of time improving her overall game.

"Cutrina was one of the elite players, even with Michigan there," said Goldberg. "The girl is absolutely phenomenal at moments - she looks like she's right there with the big-time players."

Another positive for Goldberg to take away was the play of his libero, Sabrina Vasconcelos, who is stepping into the leading role for the AU squad. "Sabrina looks really great - she's a good teammate and is in great control of the ball," he said.

Leading up to the final against Michigan, AU overcame some early-season jitters to make quick work of tournament host Manhattan. Biddulph broke the ice with 11 kills. More impressive was her .588 hitting percentage. Vasconcelos contributed 14 digs and Maloney rang up 7 kills for the Eagles, who gave up 27, 16 and 21 points in the three-game sweep.

Against UMES, Goldberg and the team went without the services of Vasconcelos and Cornez, and came away with a shaky victory. After jumping out to a 2-0 lead in games, Goldberg said his team went through "about a half-hour of confidence shake."

Some ballhandling and service errors allowed UMES to take Games 3 and 4 before AU woke back up and cruised to a third-game victory. Biddulph and Maloney again led the team in kills, while Mulford provided the lead in assists.

The Eagles return to the court Friday to play the University of Southern California in Champagne, Ill.