Complaints about Park Bethesda shuttle abound

University officials continue to receive many student complaints about Reston Limousine, including concerns about safety and driver-student communication, according to Park Bethesda Resident Manager Greg Gadren.

Reflecting on the complaints in a Sept. 20 meeting with Park Bethesda residents, Anthony Newman, director of Risk Management and Social Services, expressed the University's dissatisfaction with Reston Limousine.

"We are unhappy with the level of customer service," Newman said.

Students at the meeting expressed their continued frustration with the shuttle service. The issues discussed were safety, lateness and a lack of communication between drivers and students.

In response to the safety issue, Newman talked about a recent shuttle ride in which he asked the driver what he does when he falls behind schedule, and the driver said he speeds up. Newman said that the University might have to adjust the schedule in order to avoid the drivers' speeding.

When this concern was relayed to Reston Limousine owner Kristina Bouweiri, she said that for two years, Reston Limousine had asked the Housing & Dining office (which sets the shuttle schedule) to change the schedule of the shuttle in order to cut down on the lateness complaints she receives, and prevent the drivers from speeding.

During the meeting with AU students, Newman said the shuttle is a 15-minute ride from campus to Park Bethesda.

On the issue of driver-student communication, Newman said the drivers are not communicating with the students very well, thus creating more complaints.

Bouweiri said that since the University decreased the shuttle service to one shuttle stop during the summer period, there was less work for the drivers. Because of this, she said, it lost many of last year's drivers.

"It takes a while to get the right people in place," Bouweiri said.

In response to the student concerns, Newman said that Reston Limousine had previously been unaware of so many complaints, making the concerns a surprise to the company.

During the meeting, Newman said that in a separate meeting with Reston Limousine officials, they made a comment to the effect of "you want the good drivers and buses, you have to show us the dough."

Bouweiri denied that any Reston Limousine officials made that comment, and said that she was happy with the amount of money her company is receiving in its contract with AU.

Bouweiri said her company is dedicated to providing AU with quality customer service and that, with patience, Reston Limousine is capable of resolving the issues with the University.

The Eagle previously reported that Reston Limousine has a month-to-month contract with the University. The Eagle has also learned that Capitol Properties, the company that has a 10-year lease with the University on Park Bethesda apartments, was originally supposed to provide the shuttle service for the residents, but did not for unknown reasons.

The University pays $660,000 dollars a year for the shuttle, an item unbudgeted for Housing and Dining, according to Gadren and Housing and Dining Director Julie Weber.