Class of 2005 to donate lounge to Katzen Center, funds to library

The Class of 2005 will contribute a student lounge in the Katzen Arts Center as its senior class gift, it was announced last night at an event at Chef Geoff's restaurant.

The senior celebration at Chef Geoff's was part of the Class of 2005 Opening to a Really Great Year, or O.R.G.Y. Week, an annual AU tradition. The week began with a senior night on the town at the Front Page, a popular restaurant-bar in Dupont Circle. A Screen on the Green movie showing and Four Provinces bar event followed.

"The turnout for events has been surprisingly excellent," said Chris Salazar, Class of 2005 president.

The first Screen on the Green was held Labor Day, but due to inclement weather the film, "Mean Girls," was moved into Bender Arena.

"Despite the site change, 800 people attended the traditional Screen on the Green," Salazar said.

The Class of 2005 gift will cost approximately $50,000 and they will give $10,000 for the library endowment. Seniors could vote for the gift online, and 218 voted, reportedly the most ever to vote for a senior class gift.

"Everyone has been very enthusiastic since it is our last year together," Salazar said.

Salazar's goal is to mix tradition with innovation, he said. He has been class president since his freshman year.

After O.R.G.Y. Week, Salazar is going to be organizing meetings for the gift committee.

The week will conclude on Friday evening with a senior dinner at Chipotle.

The Class of 2007 "007 Week" starts on Sunday.