Beslan victims receive aid

Since hundreds of people were taken hostage at a school in Beslan, Russia, two weeks ago, several organizations have formed to help aid the victims and their families.

While there are currently no AU organizations for aiding the victims, the Kay Spiritual Life Center will work with concerned students or faculty and use their resources to help to set up a program for donations or prayer. Students may contact the Kay Center at x3320.

The International Foundation for Terror Act Victims, a group established by Russians and Americans in 2002, has made its Beslan School Crisis Assistance program its current mission. All donations received go to assisting the victims.

The foundation is currently giving $500 to families with injured children, $1,000 to families where an adult provider died, $1,500 to the families of handicapped children and $1,000 to relatives adopting an orphaned child. These figures are based on their current contribution level of $743,550, but should rise dramatically if it reaches its goal of $10 million. To make a tax-deductible donation, visit the foundation's Web site, www.moscow-help.org.

The Children's Hope International Foundation has developed a program that helps find homes for children who lost their parents by facilitating the adoption of Russian children by American families. For adoption procedures, donations or other contributions, contact the Children's Hope International Foundation by calling (314) 890-0086 or by e-mailing contact@childrenshope.ru.

The Russian Embassy, which received an abundance of flowers and prominent visitors after the incident, is also taking donations. More details can be found at the embassy's Web site, www.russianembassy.org.