AU asst. coach runs in 1,500 m Olympic semifinals

Posted July 17. Updated July 21.

Sean O'Brien, an AU assistant track coach and former AU track athlete, placed No. 21 of 24 competitors in the 1,500-meter run semifinals at the U.S. Olympic Team Trials in Sacramento, Calif. on Friday, July 16, according to the USA Track & Field Web site, www.usatf.org.

O'Brien completed the race in 3 minutes and 48.31 seconds, compared with his quarterfinals time of 3:42.9, which tied him for 13th place. O'Brien would have had to complete the semifinals in 3:44.64 to beat out Said Ahmed of Arkansas for the No. 12 spot. The top 12 athletes move on to the men's 1,500-meter finals on Sunday, July 18.

In the quarterfinals, 1.25 seconds separated O'Brien from the No. 1 runner, Michael Stember. However, in the semifinals, Stember, again placing first, beat O'Brien by 8.57 seconds.

O'Brien holds the record for AU's fastest outdoor 1,500-meter run, with a time of 3:41.29, which he set May 10, 2002. O'Brien is also the only four-time All-American to come out of the University, according to AU Athletics.

Director of Athletics Joni Comstock said the department is "very proud" of O'Brien and Ethan Bassett, a recent alumnus who placed seventh in the men's 200-meter breaststroke trials.

"They both represent what AU Athletics stands for, which is great scholarship and great athletic ability. This kind of accomlishment in participating in the Olympic trials also promotes the name of AU in total and I know all of the AU community joins me in being proud of these student athletes," she said.

Comstock added that O'Brien and Bassett contributed to the AU community in other ways as well.

"This level of athletic performance is further enhanced by what great leaders both of them were for their teams here at AU. They are the kinds of students and athletes that raise everyone else's performance around them," she said. "That is why they are outstanding."

At posting time O'Brien and Matt Centrowitz, AU's head track coach, could not be reached.

-ANNE GODLASKY