Fountain featured in new garden on South Side

The sound of running water is no longer reserved for bathrooms on campus as a small waterfall fountain was installed outside Roper Hall in late April. The fountain is the centerpiece of a garden outside the building on South Side of campus, which features a stone walkway and several wooden benches.

The Office of Facilities Planning and Development set up the garden after completing a renovation of Roper and the surrounding buildings, according to Jerry Gager, director of the office.

"It had been noted before in the renovation of the buildings that something was appropriate in the location," Gager said. "[The fountain] was installed by mid-April."

Located across from the Bender Library parking lot, the fountain is in an area not often visited by students, although students were originally planned to do most of the work on the garden, Gager said.

"The planting was supposed to be done during Campus Beautification Day, which of course got cancelled due to weather," Gager said.

The last of the planting was completed on May 5, Gager said, and is the final step of the renovations to Roper, Clark and Gray halls. Construction is now beginning to convert the fourth building, McCabe Hall, into the new Student Health Center.

- K.F.S.