Weekend Hot Spots

Thursday, April 8

"Good-Bye, Lenin!" Avalon Theater 5612 Connecticut Ave NW 7:15 p.m., 9:55 p.m.

This bittersweet comedy revolves around the fall of the Berlin Wall in late-1980s Germany, and how the son of a woman who was in a coma during the fall must convince his disillusioned mother that the West did not come East. To do this, he stages a series of situations that impersonate the East Germany his mother still believes she lives in. Eventually, though, a reality-check ensues.

Friday, April 9

Slipknot, Fear Factory Nation 1015 Half St. SE 6 p.m.

Question: where is the person who wants to pay $27.50 plus tax/fees to go to Nation at 6 p.m. (Daylight Savings guarantees it will still be light out by then), withstand the musical stylings of Slipknot and Fear Factory on their "Jagermeister Music Tour", and actually enjoy themselves? Answer: high school.

Pizza Eating & People Watching Pizza Mart 2435 18th St. NW until at least 3 a.m.

When the bars on 18th Street in Adams Morgan begin to close for the night/morning, things get a little wacky. Park yourself on the curb in front of Pizza Mart, order one of the jumbo slices of pepperoni, and watch the madness unfold. Hip, youthful Washingtonians will stumble in front of you for as long as it takes to finish that massive piece of pizza. Sober or not, that should prove entertaining.

Saturday, April 10

Paperdoll, Partyline Sheesha Palace 1359 Monroe St. NW 8 p.m.

AU homeslices Paper Doll and ex-Bratmobile singer Allison Wolfe's band Partyline join forces for a show to raise money for the D.C. Radical Cheerleaders. Expect a night of politically conscious, female-led indie rock that dances upon the borders of "riot grrl."

Sunday, April 11

Rasputina, Murder by Death The Ottobar 2549 N. Howard St. Baltimore 9 p.m.

Rasputina and Murder by Death are bands that feature chilling lyrics about scary stuff and look like that band of pseudo-Victorian, gothic kids that hung out in the drama wing of your high school. Yet both bands are innovative and interesting, defying the stigma that most goth music rightfully earns.