Tent educates AU on Mideast

Students for Justice in Palestine held its second annual Palestine Awareness Week April 5 through 8 by featuring various events around campus. Today's events include a forum entitled "Prospects for Activism Against Apartheid Wall" and a documentary in the School of International Service lounge.

Nathan Stock, first-year graduate student and member of Students for Justice in Palestine, said George Washington University was expected to hold a Palestine Awareness Week simultaneously with AU, but did not because GW wanted to charge an enormous amount of money to use its Quad.

The students set up the tent that is currently in front of the Mary Graydon Center as a base for operations, according to Stock.

"AU students and faculty can come into our tent and receive information about the conflict, informational maps and free food," Stock said. "It's a place to hang out ...We've gotten a lot of curious people over the past couple of days."

Last year, students faced many more discussions and arguments regarding the weeklong event. According to Stock, who is studying peace and conflict resolution, this year has been quiet.

"We've received no complaints or concerns from students," he said. Members of Students for Justice in Palestine shared their thoughts on why learning about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is important.

"I think it's important to know what is going on in the international community," said freshman Christina Hussain. "American students are putting their tax dollars into the conflict ... Our generation can change the injustice in the world."

"There is a lot of ignorance, not in a negative sense, but more misinformation about what actually is going on in Palestine," said junior Dustin Tasker. "A lot of times, what actually goes on isn't reported, making us unable to understand the situation."

"The situation involving occupation of the territory affects every human being, whether you are studying it or not," said Ann Detwiler. "This is just one story of one group's struggle for freedom."

Members of the Palestine group slept Monday night in the tent on the Quad. Currently, the tent holds pamphlets about the conflict, as well as ethnic jewelry and T-shirts with phrases such as "Got occupation? Visit Palestine" and "We are all Palestinian."

As it is the final day of the event, Palestinian Awareness Week will conclude with a Cultural Night in the Amphitheatre, weather permitting.