SIS to celebrate 46th anniversary

Campus brief

AU's School of International Service will celebrate the 46th anniversary of its founding tonight at the Embassy of Nigeria.

The event's highlights include AU's plans to construct a new building to replace the school's current building which dates back to 1957.

The event will also celebrate the new partnership between AU and ABTI-American University in Yola, Nigeria, where AU will provide advice on education and administrative matters.

It will also honor the SIS Alumnus of the Year for 2004, Walter H. Kansteiner III.

Kansteiner served as the assistant secretary for African Affairs for the U. S. State Department. He has since returned to his position as a founding principal of the Scowcroft Group, an international business development firm. He also serves as a member on the Council on Foreign Relations and chairs the Africa Policy Advisory Panel. He also serves on other boards in the United States and Africa.

"I am delighted to honor Walter Kansteiner as School of International Service 2004 Alumnus of the Year," said SIS Dean Louis Goodman in a press release. "He has distinguished himself in international business as well as international diplomacy. His contributions to commerce and U.S. policy toward Africa deserve our highest praise"