Seniors hold final celebration of the year

It all began with the Opening to a Really Great Year, or O.R.G.Y. week, last semester. Now, the Class of 2004 will spend its final week together celebrating its graduation from AU.

"After the Class of 2001, senior and O.R.G.Y. weeks seemed to go downhill," said EJ Stern, Class of 2004 president. "We hope to bring back the excitement with our senior week."

Vice President Eitan Naftali hopes to achieve plenty of excitement with next week's festivities.

"Seniors had a blast at O.R.G.Y. week last semester, and Senior Week will be even better," Eitan Naftali, the senior class vice president said. "The 2004 class council wants seniors to leave A.U. with some incredible memories, and Senior Week is certain to achieve that!"

Senior Week will begin on Saturday, May 1, with the final AU senior night at 4P's.

"We will be giving away neon signs, T-shirts and plenty of other freebies," Stern said. "There will also be live music and specials all night."

Other events include a senior barbeque in the amphitheater, in which faculty and staff will serve seniors. According to Stern, AU professors missed the tradition and wanted to continue it again.

The week will end on May 6 with a midnight cruise along the Potomac. "Ticket sales have been absolutely incredible," Stern said. "We have sold over half the cruise tickets ... We plan to sell out before the cruise." Members of the senior class are excited about the cruise and its reputation.

Laura Carollo, a member of the senior class, agrees, "I've always heard how crazy the senior cruise is. I'm definitely looking forward to a great night out with my best friends!"

On May 8, the seniors plan to have a toast at the Ritz Carlton where they plan to present their class gift, which is valued at approximately 60,000, to President Benjamin Ladner. The gift will be used to refurbish the Letts Anderson quad over the summer.

"Last year there were 800 guests that attended the senior toast," Stern said. "This year we are hoping for over 1,000 students, family members and guests."

The week culminates on Sunday, May 9, with commencement.

"I have had a great four years here with my class, from football on the Quad, to ORGY week, and everything in between," said Lynda Lyons, senior. "Senior week will be sad because it means the end, but it will be a great end to a great four years."

The first O.R.G.Y. and senior weeks began in 2001.

More information on senior week is available by e-mailing AUClassof2004@american.edu.