Police Blotter

Friday, April 9

Theft was reported in Federal Hall on Tenley Campus. A female student reported a stolen check from her room. There were no signs of forced entry. The check was later recovered in a trashcan in the hallway. Theft was reported in Federal Hall. A female student had $50 in cash stolen from her room.

Public Safety officers found a male who does not attend AU drinking an open container of alcohol. He was of age, but unaware of the "dry campus" policy.

Saturday, April 10

The ceiling in a classroom in Hurst Hall fell and was reported to Physical Plant by a professor. The reason for the damage is unknown and still under investigation.

A male was arrested in Mary Graydon Center for breaking and entering into one of the beverage coolers and stealing a soda. The subject resisted detention from Public Safety and the Metropolitan Police Department had to be called.

Sunday, April 11

Harassment was reported by a female student. She was harassed by a male student who does not reside on campus. The matter was over a perceived betrayal of confidence. It is still under investigation.

A false fire alarm occurred in Capital Hall on Tenley Campus. Public Safety officers investigated the alarm and could not find smoke or fire. The person who pulled the alarm has not been found.

Disorderly conduct was reported from McDowell Hall. A resident assistant called Public Safety to control disorderly students who were drinking. The students were three males, one from Leonard Hall, one from McDowell Hall and one resident of Park Bethesda. The student from Leonard became belligerent and refused to go back to his hall. Public Safety detained the resident and then had to call the MPD because the resident was being disorderly. At that point the resident started foaming at the mouth and was transported to Sibley Hospital for alcohol poisoning.

A fire alarm was activated in Letts Hall. No smoke or fire was found. The pull station was reset and the students were allowed back into the building.

Damage to a vehicle was reported in the Nebraska Avenue Parking Lot. A patrol officer reported damage to a vehicle in the lot. He was making his patrol rounds and saw a car with its rear windows broken. He saw that the radio had been stolen as well. No one has come forward to file a report. Theft was reported from Bender Library. A female visitor's personal laptop computer was stolen from Bender Library while she was in the bathroom. She saw a male individual run off with her computer and tried to chase him, but was unsuccessful. The thief is described as a dark-skinned man, of medium build with short black hair between the ages of 30 and 40. He was wearing a dark jacket and dark clothing.

Theft was reported from the Sports Center. A male student reported that his wallet was stolen from an unlocked locker. His wallet contained credit cards and cash. The credit cards have been used fraudulently.

An elevator malfunction occurred in McDowell Hall. A female student, her mother and sister were stuck in the elevator for 15 minutes. Public Safety and Physical Plant responded and were able to free the women with no injuries.

Monday, April 12

A cash register was damaged near the University Club in Mary Graydon Center. Nothing was reported missing from the register.

Theft was reported in the Sports Center. A male student had his wallet and credit cards stolen from an unsecured locker. The cards were used off-campus to make fraudulent purchases.

An AU shuttle bus driver reported that he cracked the mirror on his bus while driving.

Tuesday, April 13

Harassment was reported in Roper Hall. While studying in the lounge of Roper Hall, a female student was harassed by a male student. He came in talking on his cell phone and yelled at her to be quiet. A professor came into the room to mediate the altercation. The student on the phone was asked to leave the lounge. He later approached the female and began to harass her.

Disorderly conduct was reported in Anderson Hall. A female student who was vomiting blood was documented for disorderly conduct when she tried to evade Public Safety. She started running down the hall but was eventually cornered. Chevy Chase-Bethesda Rescue Squad monitored her and decided she did not need to go to the hospital.

A false fire alarm was activated in Congressional Hall on Tenley Campus. The desk staff reported to Public Safety that a fire alarm had gone off, but upon investigation no alarm had been pulled and no smoke or fire could be found. This is possibly a glitch in the system.