Our Take: No ticket to ride

Walking back and forth between AU and the Glover Park neighborhood may not seem so bad on a nice day, but in the snow, the rain, and on scorching summer days; with an armload of library books and at night, the walk isn't so pleasant. Yet after the end of May, AU students will not have the option of riding the Glover-Tunlaw shuttle.

AU announced a couple weeks ago that shuttle service would no longer be provided between the University and the Glover-Tunlaw building, which is currently being evaluated. Although the University did not expect to run the shuttle after Glover-Tunlaw closed its doors in February, no students were notified until the end of March.

Many students were upset by the Today@AU e-mail and the numerous flyers, and they have a right to complain - the shuttle service is still operating only because of some concerned students from the Graduate Leadership Council. Once again, communication between the administration and students has been poor. Students who signed long-term leases in the area will be left without a shuttle starting in June. Although some students have cars or bicycles, the trek will still be inconvenient for the hundreds of students in Tunlaw Park, Tunlaw Gardens, and other apartment buildings and complexes in the area.

Although The Eagle understands the decision to stop shuttle service - there will be no occupants in a University-owned building in the area - communication should have been swifter and more thorough. Many resident students did not realize that the University planned to empty the Glover-Tunlaw building many months before it did so. If the University notified more students, many of them could have thought twice and avoided long-term leases that now leave them stuck without a consistent, convenient means of transportation to and from the University.