N.E.R.D. rocks Bender

Throne, Fountains of Wayne and N.E.R.D., three bands unlikely to be used in the same sentence, let alone play the same show, managed to collaboratively rock AU's Bender Arena on Friday night.

The concert, sponsored by the Student Union Board, drew in a crowd of 2,395 people, according to the offical audit by Ticketmaster.

Throne unleashed its pop rock sound first. This little-known band attempted to make the audience jump and clap with its original material, but it took a N.E.R.D. reference to prove anyone was awake.

Next, Fountains of Wayne took the stage to do what it does best. Band members Chris Collingwood and Adam Schlesinger immediately played a list of old favorites including "Red Dragon Tattoo." They then warned anyone who did not like their mellow new material to find something else to do for the next 12 minutes. Before wrapping up, Fountains of Wayne's "Stacy's Mom" inspired mass attempts at choreographed dancing by younger audience members.

N.E.R.D. - consisting of Pharrell Williams, Chad Hugo (who was a no-show) and Shay and backed by band Spymob - gave everyone what they wanted with songs like "Run to the Sun," "Brain" and "Stay Together." Whether one knows them as the Neptunes, N.E.R.D. or producers for Jay-Z and Britney Spears, this trio knows how to please an audience. Williams constantly interacted with the crowd, reminding it that N.E.R.D. is for the people and not celebrities, and gave it the tracks they wanted to hear.