Lakers take all

Sideline Scholars

The Los Angeles Lakers aren't the favorite to win the NBA title. Did I stutter? No two ways about it. Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal are not part of the team to beat this year. Instead, Kevin Garnett and Sam Cassell form the one-two punch that will be most feared, at least according to seedings.

This past Wednesday, the Minnesota Timberwolves clinched the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference and are more than ready to make it past the first round of the playoffs for the first time in franchise history. However, if the favorites of each series win and they get to the Western Conference finals, they will have to face that pesky team from Los Angeles. Here's why.

It isn't a surprise that what was supposed to be a dream season for Los Angeles has turned out to be anything but. Nevertheless, the team is still the No. 2 seed in the West and is as dangerous as ever heading into the playoffs.

Several factors marred the expected results of the season. First, the fabulous foursome of Bryant, O'Neal, Karl Malone and Gary Payton, didn't play that many games together. Malone suffered through an injury-plagued season and never really hit his stride, only playing in 42 games.

The injury didn't help team chemistry and more importantly killed any chance the Lakers had at breaking the Chicago Bulls' record of 72 wins in a single season.

Payton ended up playing all 82 games, the most of any Laker superstar, and 15 more than Shaq, yet the season didn't always come with success for him either. But now there are 16 games to be won and a championship trophy to be had. You can be sure the regular season will be forgotten as quickly as it went by. Payton is on top of his game, and having a true point guard in the post season will be a first for this Lakers dynasty.

Payton stated in the off-season that the reason he was coming to Los Angeles was to win the championship. Don't be surprised if you see the savvy vet taking charges or diving into press row in an attempt to get a loose ball. He will do anything to win - anything.

Bryant is focused, recently hitting his stride by scoring 45 and 37 points in his last two games. At 6-foot-6, he is still drawing comparisons to Michael Jordan and will have yet another chance to paint his legacy in June.

With a fourth championship, Bryant would put the summer from hell behind him and show that he can deal with adversity just as well as No. 23 once did. He looked almost immortal as he hit a game-tying three-pointer and then a game-winning one in double overtime against the Blazers Wednesday night. Even without a supporting cast, Bryant would give the team a chance to win night in and night out.

Malone injured his ankle in the season finale and won't be at full srtength in the playoffs. Therefore, the man in the middle, O'Neal, will play an even bigger role this postseason. "The Daddy" went through an up-and-down season, yet he thrives when the prize is on the line, as is now the case.

With all this said, the favorites still seem to be in Los Angeles. Yeah, I lied! Sorry! Fire me! Sometimes seedings aren't everything, and the fact that Los Angeles may have to go through Minnesota to win the championship won't bother them. They are still the purple and gold, and have four future-hall-of-famers in their starting lineup. Good luck to the rest of the league.

Something tells me that this postseason is going to finish much like the 2000, 2001 and 2002 seasons did: in the Staples Center, home of the 2004 world champion Los Angeles Lakers.