Funeral for a Friend invades D.C.

Not just another British band

Bands from the U.K. have been "invading" the United States for years. For the most part, recent successes of U.K. bands have been limited to modern rock like Coldplay; however, the U.K. does not only export softer radio fare. Welsh rockers Funeral for a Friend are one of these rare exceptions to that rule. With their emotionally charged hardcore and metal-driven music, the band has the pained vibe of AFI and the intensity of Slayer.

Despite often being called the next U.K. band that will break America, bassist Gareth Davies and guitarist Darren Smith said they have no intention to do so. In an interview before their opening spot on Coheed and Cambria's current tour last Tuesday at the 9:30 club, Davies and Smith said they would rather just put on a good show wherever they play.

"I'll play anywhere," Smith said. "As long as there are people willing to watch us, I don't give a shit. We aren't really interested in the whole 'U.K. band breaking America' thing. It is just a cool opportunity to play some great shows over here."

Funeral for a Friend is probably the most varied act on their current tour with Coheed and Cambria, Rainer Maria and Brazil because of their heavy sound. Despite this, Smith feels that the shows have been great.

"The reactions have just been amazing recently," Smith said. "We've been here once before. Last time we didn't even have a CD out. Now, we've had a CD out for a while ... all the shows have had great reactions."

Although Funeral for a Friend is bigger in the U.K. than in the United States, Davies insists that shows are the same in both countries.

"Just a lot more land to cover here," Davies said. "Apart from that there are very few differences. It has pretty much the same vibe. Word seems to be spreading quickly."

Funeral for a Friend's new full-length album, "Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation," will be out July 13.